Sunday 25 January 2015

Week 12 to 18: Update

So I haven't exactly been updating this weekly....well, now I'm back!

First, I decided to count in the weeks that I spent in Malaysia for the Christmas break just so there's some sort of continuity and to avoid confusion when (if) I look back at this in future.

Next, the break which I took back in Malaysia was actually more eventful than I thought it would be. Of course, there was the hustle and bustle of moving all my stuff to the new house which wasn't even 100% ready when we moved in but it looked nice. My new room is now massive and I have tons of storage space which I don't need at the moment. It's nice that I don't have to share a room with my brother anymore (no more early mornings because of getting woken up by his alarm!).

Besides that, I visited the Johor Premium Outlets and Legoland with my siblings and my brother's friend (also my sister's lecturer). I actually enjoyed Legoland more than I thought I would. I was expecting it to be this boring kiddie park but there were some fun rides and shows. Also, they had the Star Wars exhibition when we visited, so that was pretty cool. The only downside to the trip was that the place we stayed at was a bit crappy. I wouldn't recommend staying at that hostel really. But, all in all, a pretty enjoyable trip.

Besides having fun, I also worked on job applications. But I wasn't very successful though. I crashed and burned at both phone interviews. The second one was slightly better than the first but still not very good. One thing I did realise though, I pressured myself so much to try to succeed but I didn't really want the jobs. The only thing that attracted me to those jobs were the fact that I would be able to stay in London and possibly get a job for when I graduate. Now, I'm focusing a bit more on applications in Malaysia and jobs in record labels or music companies.

Lately, besides trying to catch up on my work and balancing that with society stuff, I have also been thinking a lot on my future after I graduate. Do I want to work in Malaysia? Do I want to work in the UK? Do I want to work in a bank/audit firm? Do I want to work in a record company? It's so pressuring having the expectations of my parents not match my own. I completely understand why though, but still, I find it hard to make a decision which will give me a steady income in life.

In the end, I will be doing the job and I really should get something which I am at least vaguely interested in. Working in a bank is completely out. Not only am I not interested in finance, I didn't even like it when I did my internship in a bank. To be honest, I'm not even sure what auditors do but I have this prejudice against it and clearly just don't want to become an accountant. Would I like working in a record company? I don't know either, but I want to at least try.

Job seeking is hard. And I'm only looking for an internship. How nice would it be if I didn't have to worry about this while still in university? Sigh.

Signing off,
YiJiun

No comments: