Monday 4 January 2016

Weeks 6 to 13: Busy Life and A BRAND NEW YEAR

Hello readers! (If I actually have any)

I know that it's been quite a while since I last posted and that's because of my ridiculously packed life in the past couple of months.

Term 1 of my final year at university is now done after a lot of stress. I won't bore you with the details but let's just say that it's been a rather potent cocktail of job applications and essays. But that was nearly a month ago now.

So between, the end of term and now, I've been enjoying myself quite a bit. Flew off to join my family on a tour of Portugal and Spain. It was certainly great to go on a holiday with family and certainly less stressful as I did not have to plan anything besides the flights. I really loved learning about the history of the two countries. My short-lived stay in Lisbon was particularly interesting in this aspect because of the historical relations Malaysia had with Portugal. It was interesting to notice certain Portuguese words were adapted into the Malay language (e.g. 'keju' is the word for cheese in both Malay and Portuguese).

Before term ended, I reconnected with Laura (my neighbour in first year) and she invited me over for a game night which resulted in me getting invited for New Year's Eve celebrations. So I spent New Year's Eve in Leamington Spa again this year. It was really fun just sitting around eating, drinking and playing games. Since I don't really practice any traditions for New Year's Eve (NYE with my family is quite a boring affair), I found it quite fun to join in with singing Auld Lang Syne and watching the fireworks on TV.

So, new year, new me? Not really. I stopped making New Year's resolutions a while back but I'm starting again this year mainly because I work better with clear goals in mind. In terms of job prospects, I'm definitely closer to getting a job than I was a year ago but I didn't manage to achieve my goal of actually having a job by now. I am also down to one final job application (I've been rejected or just haven't heard back from all the others). I'm left with the final stage for that, so *fingers crossed* I'll actually get the job. In the event that doesn't happen, the job hunt will just have to continue.

As for my music, I am no longer playing in a band and have been focusing a lot on making my own music. Reviving my Soundcloud page has been a wonder in helping me slowly develop the editing skills needed to make my covers sound better. I am aiming to record a proper collection of demos by this year, hopefully before I graduate university. I also want to play more solo gigs which I will hopefully find the time to do.

On the academic side, I don't think that I'm doing as well I was aiming to before. Not going to lie, I have lowered my expectations and I will honestly be happy with a 2:1 provided that I am moving along reasonably well with my other life goals.

Honestly, I still can't believe that it is 2016 already. This year is going to be a year of change for me. University life is ending and I will be stepping into the working world (Where? I still do not know.). Is this the year I become a fully-fledged adult? The prospect of that is definitely intimidating.

Going with the flow,
Jiun

No comments: